Friday, July 30, 2010

A new beginning

Well, I have said for months now that I wanted to start a blog so here it begins.  I have decided to place my focus on teacher things... being as it will be consuming my life in the near future.  Currently, I am on the hunt for a classroom theme and setting up a curriculum.  You may think this is an easy task, but being the perfectionist I am it becomes quite difficult.  I am thinking about keeping it simple with an animal print theme, but we'll see.

I could not be more excited about my new teaching position.  I will be teaching language arts to fourth graders, focusing on novels that deal with cultural diversity.

Since moving to a new city after marrying my best friend, there is much that needs to be done.  One of my top priorities is getting a new planner, which will keep my life together as I begin my new career as a teacher.  The next is getting a library card.  To me, there is nothing better than walking into the children's section of the library.  My first selection will be Esperanza Rising, a story about a young Mexican girl that moves to California during the Depression.  I have heard this book is wonderful and I am excited to start reading it, as this will be one of the selections that my students will be reading this fall.

It is my plan to update this blog with lessons I have created or recreated throughout this next year.  Also, provide links to resources that I have found helpful.  And along the way, I'm sure there will be some comical events from myself and my students.

2 comments:

  1. have them read "Drita my homegirl"
    its about a chezch girl that moves to NYC. maybe a little young for 4th grade, but a good beginning of year story
    -Marti

    ReplyDelete