Monday, October 24, 2011

Grades...enough said

Well this weekend was filled with some fun and not so fun activities.  I got to attend a sorority sister's wedding (the fun part), while working on grades on the trip there (the not so fun part).  It was great to see some friends I hadn't seen in awhile, but I had dark cloud (grades) looming over my head.

I love working at a private school, almost everything about it.  Except for grades.  When it comes to grading we have to write these lovely things called... comments.  I would equate it to writing a four paragraph essay about each student, and let me remind you that I teach 31 students.  My goal this year was the make them completely individualized, no more copying and pasting for this teacher.  Which of course led this teacher to some sleepless nights.  Don't get me wrong, I L-O-V-E talking about my students.  But when it comes to writing about them, I tend to shy away.  Honestly, I would much rather have another parent teacher conference... I know, it sounds crazy.

Needless to say, I completed them and had them turned in at 8:30 this morning.  This is only 30 minutes past their 8am deadline... but who really pays attention to that?

With that behind me, I worked like a mad woman during my planning time to figure out what the heck I would teach this week.  See... writing comments makes me a worse teacher.  I get so consumed with writing about my students that I forget my actual purpose for being a teacher.

I think this may prove that I would not be cut out to work on a doctorate and teach at the same time.  I am a great multi-tasker, but I get overwhelmed and taking over when it comes to writing.  It's almost as if I forget other things in life exist.

Let's reflect on the positive and not worry about the crazy week I have created for myself.  Here are a few pictures of what my students have been working their butts off on... their descriptive essays.


No comments:

Post a Comment