Tuesday, October 11, 2011

New Pictures and "New" Thoughts



Our classroom "Reading Cafe"


This is our comprehension menu thus far...
We have been talking A LOT about connections!


This was our first major IAW for the year... each class wrote a persuasive paragraph.



This is my new and improved classroom library!


"New" Thoughts

So new marriages bring on lots of new things.  This summer we adopted a very lovely kitten (who is part crazy).  We have also done some "home improvement" projects, but mostly because of my nagging.  But I must say that the husband I came home to tonight is definitely "new."  We have been talking about making selves for our entertainment center, painting some wooden stools, and our newest obsession (thanks to Pinterest) is making an outside table out of old pallets.  Last night alone my husband made/painted the selves for our entertainment center AND painted the wooden stools.  Although I thought this was too good to be true, I came home this evening to his incessant talking about how he was going to Lowe's this evening to get the things for the outside table AND he is going to finish off the chairs.  Who has replaced my husband with this crafty man?  (I'll keep him around thought).

Another new thing is the lack of an NBA season thus far.  With a husband who is normally super busy at this point in the fall I will say it's nice to have him around, but it's a little weird having all this "free" time.

As I continue my second year as a teacher, I am constantly tackled with new.  Yesterday, I sat down and decided to read an article out of "Reading Teacher" (a reading magazine... yes, judge me).  After stressing ALL day about keeping up with "things", this article reminded me that I AM DOING THE RIGHT THINGS.  Here is a quote...

"Probably the most productive way to create space for literature in the classroom is the limit the amount of activities associated with reading instruction.  Dioramas, book reports, character mobiles, crossword puzzles, and other enrichment active should become relics of our instructional past.  Until we, as readers ourselves, curl up near the fireplace with a worksheet or take a computer quiz for each book we read, we need to reconsider what we are asking our students to do after they are finished reading" (Serafini, 2011, p. 31). 

AMEN.

So... now the BIG question.  If I limit some response time on paper, how do I accurately evaluate them?  We do have discussion time, but I cannot possibly grade them purely on discussion... can I?

Should I have them answer one question a week to show comprehension?  

I have come to the realization that I will never be completely satisfied with how I teach.  Hmph.  Hopefully that is a good thing.  




No comments:

Post a Comment