Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 2 and 3

Whew.  I have made it through half a week.  The first two days were spent with my homeroom class, which is full of amazingly energetic kiddos.  I am growing to love each and every one of them - even when I have to repeat the directions (5 times) for a few.

Today, Friday, was the first day that we rotated classrooms.  I got to meet all 29 of my wonderful students and we did some fun writing activities for the day, matched up with a read aloud of The Brand New Kid.  The students are so engaged during read alouds, which is so exciting for me.  I think that fourth grade it such a wonderful grade to expand on ideas and my students did such a wonderful job.  I was so proud when one student made a text-to-text and a text-to-world connection.

One thing I have noticed is that the students do not necessarily know the terminology of certain literacy things.  Such as clarification, the different types of connections, etc.  This is something that we will work on this year, as I want my students to know and understand each thing.  (I can give credit to my wonderful mentor teacher from student teaching for that one).

It is funny how some students just seem to off in their own little world.  I feel like tapping them on the shoulder and saying, "So sorry for the interruption, but my name is Mrs. ___ and I would like to invite you to join our CLASS discussion."  No worries though, I will refrain from the sarcasm.

Overall, I have a wonderful group of 29 kids.  I definitely have my fair share of energetic personalities, but they keep me on my toes and giggling (on the inside of course) throughout the day.  It's funny how asking a child to stop kicking dirt can actually cause them to cry... Whoa.  Yes, we are talking about a 4th grader.  But amongst the energetic personalities, I have a mix of some scary intelligent kiddos with my hard workers.  I also have the students that are a teachers dream (yes, you know what I'm talking about - the ones that are so kind and help out without even being asked).  And although I may think at times that they are absolutely insane for their actions, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

My all time favorite part of the day would be dismissal (not because they are leaving), but because they can give me a high-five, handshake, or hug as they leave.  Each one has a smile on their face, which makes all my troubles from the day disappear.  Would it be wrong to do this activity halfway through the day...?  Hehe.

This weekend is packed with some movie watching and book report grading.  Yes, my fourth graders had summer reading assignments.  And I am determined to not get behind on grading.

No comments:

Post a Comment