Whew. Made it through the week.
Yesterday, we talked about onomatopoeia. You would have thought I had said something hilarious because my students completely lost it. Didn't realize that words such as "choo-choo" and "Boom!" were so funny... until I said them in class. Apparently the end of the word "poeia" is rather hysterical to a fourth grader.
It has been great how our topics have been introduced through our novel (Maniac Magee). The students are really getting into the story.
We have been adding to our "town" at the back of the room. As I was falling asleep one night, I had the idea of incorporating our vocabulary words within our map. The students had a blast with this activity! We had previously discussed the meaning of each word and then decided the best places for them on the map. And let me admit... they did better at this than I did. I never would have fit all the words that we did into our map! Thank goodness for smart little brains :)
Today, we had show and tell (yes, in fourth in grade). It was really refreshing to see my kids talk about something special to them. And we successfully avoided bringing in anything electronic!! Their faces lit up and they were so knowledgeable during their share time. I loved listening to their questions. They were shocked that I brought a show and tell (does this mean I'm old?), but they loved hearing about the unity cross we used at our wedding. Gotta love little kids.
Monday brings an exciting, but nerve-wracking day. My mentor from student teaching is coming to coach me while I teach Read Alouds, Shared Reading, Interactive Writing, Word Work, etc. I am so blessed to be able to have her as a resource, but I am nervous my kiddos will not be very enthused on a Monday morning at 8am. We shall see...
Then enter Thursday: parent-teacher conference day. Enough said.
Friday, parents are coming to discuss their careers! This will segway our class into our first essay over an ideal career. Can't wait to see what the kiddos pick out!
One of my precious students reminded us today: "God gave us ONE mouth and TWO ears. That means listening is twice as good as talking." AMEN. (Side note: This was after a few "come to Jesus" talks with my homeroom about listening, organization, respect, and homework).
No comments:
Post a Comment