Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 6 and 7

We have begun our novel study, which I think is going pretty well so far.  I am really enjoying being animated with the kids and getting into the story.  Today, we read the first 4 chapters together on the carpet.  I had to students sit in a circle so we could actively listen.  We are really trying to work on respecting and valuing one another's thoughts and ideas.  


"Everyone has the right to be respected
          and the responsibility to respect others"



Overall, I feel that this went pretty well.  I know it will take consistency for my students to be able to hold a conversation without my interjections.  I told them that when we are having discussions, I am one of them.  My thoughts are no better than theirs, we all have wonderful things to say and interesting facts to bring to the table.


I decided to wait to discuss vocabulary words until we had reached the word in the text.  When we found an unknown word we stopped and discussed.  Then we all practiced acting out the word or visualizing the word in our minds.  My goal is to make up some fun vocabulary activities this weekend, allowing us to go back and review the words we have discussed.  


And I cannot forget to mention how we began our class...Dancing in the streets.  


More to come after the weekend.  My classroom is going to be transformed into Two Mills... the town that Maniac Magee changed forever.  Get excited, because I totally am!

No comments:

Post a Comment